Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Talked to Tom and found out how to use a MOSFET driver. I was advised that a MOSFET is the way to go for sending current down threads. I will still be shorting out a battery, but the MOSFET will allow me to control when and which threads get power sent through them via the arduino (or any microcontroller, for that matter). I am going to try to track down a smaller version of the arduino, which is being developed here at itp. It is much more conducive to being sewn into a wearable application than the mini or full-sized arduino, because of its smaller dimensions, including thickness.

Today I'm going to get in touch with a couple people to figure out how to connect to the internet via my cellphone.

current steps outline:
- get cellphone to connect to net and return data to arduino
- build working mosfet circuit with basic on/off code
- try creating a bus.. see how long battery drains when you have multiple threads attached
- see how long battery drains with just one thread attached.
- build circuit with working arduino code, doing data scrape.
- create design for dress
- stitch threads into dress
- screen on design
- stitch in circuitry!
- figure out power source

Much thanks to Marcelo, who has been advising me along the way, particularly with giving me the idea to use MOSFETs in the first place.

No comments: